Monday, September 10, 2012

My Hike in Pink Beds

Last week I want for a hike in Pink Beds Recreation Area, well technically I went to look at the White Faced/ Bald Faced Hornet’s nest. The thing is HUGE!  It is in a well-used Recreation area, however because of its size we cannot safely remove it, it is about 3 feet off the ground, about 1.5 feet across and 2 feet high. We will wait until it freezes a couple of times before we remove it and use it as a display in the Cradle. Along the way I spotted some pretty sweet critters, the yellow caterpillar is an American Dagger Moth Caterpillar; he is a fluffy little guy that’s for sure.  I also saw a 4.5 foot long Black Rat Snake; he was slithering along the forest floor, and then stopped so I could snap a few photos.  
At the Cradle the Volunteers and Interns get together at least once a week for craft time and usually a Pot Luck. The last few weeks we have been quilting, this week we start making teddy bear and bead necklaces, as well as continue to quilt. I am super excited about all the new fun things I am learning how to do, last Saturday after our botched weekly float trip(it started sunny then down poured rain and dropped about 15 degrees, not fun in an intertube!) we headed home to warm up and get some dinner, we ended up spending our Saturday night watching DVDs and quilting, wow we are adventuresome! Another awesome activity I have picked up is mushrooming, or Hunting Mushrooms, I love wandering out in the woods, looking for mushrooms, my latest score, Black Chanterelles, so yummy, a mild apricot smell, delicious in a garlic onion sour cream brandy sauce. Each time I come back with some mushrooms I can’t wait to go back out, this is definitely my new favorite hobby. Its hiking with a bonus. Awesome! The mushroom pictured below is a Fly Agaric it is highly poisonous and should be avoided, but boy is it pretty! Until next time happy hunting!

Good Morning World
  
 
He's so fluffy, I'm gonna die!

No comments:

Post a Comment